Power Firmware(tm) Boot Firmware
System ROM Code
Power Firmware(tm) boot firmware is a complete Open Firmware ROM
implementation for the PowerPC(tm).
Open Firmware, formally described by IEEE Standard
1275-1994, is the first non-proprietary open-standard boot
firmware that is usable on different processors and buses.
Open Firmware includes:
- A processor-independent "device interface" that enables an add-in
peripheral card to identify itself and to supply a single boot driver
that can be used, unchanged, on any CPU using Open Firmware.
- A "user interface" with powerful scripting and debugging capabilities.
- A "client interface" that enables operating systems and their
loaders to make use of Open Firmware services to assist in the
configuration and initialization process.
Open Firmware is required by the PowerPC Reference
Platform (PR*P) and the Common
Hardware Reference Platform (CHRP) specifications.
Power Firmware complies with:
- IEEE Std 1275-1994 Standard for Boot (Initialization
Configuration) Firmware: Core Requirements and Practices
- PowerPC Binding Specification
- PCI Binding Specification
- PowerPC Reference Platform Specification
Power Firmware supports:
- 601, 603, 604 and 750 Processors (For more information see IBM or Motorola.)
- PCI, ISA and other buses
- NT, AIX, Solaris, LynxOS, VxWorks, Mac OS
The core technology of Power Firmware is a small, fast, efficient
Forth micro-kernel enabling powerful, interactive debugging and
automated system configuration.
This mature code is based on a field-proven implementation and can be
easily ported to your specific system architecture.
- Provides machine-independent configuration and booting support for
- Provides a framework for plug-in drivers so that user-installed
peripherals boot "out-of-the-box".
- Provides a standard set of firmware functions for use by "client
programs": operating systems, loaders, diagnostics, etc.
- Provides complete run-time configuration information to client programs.
- Contains a full ANS Forth interpreter for interactive programming,
debugging and configuration.
- Off-the-shelf drivers are available
for many commonly-used devices. (And, if we don't have what you need,
we can create it for you easily.)
- Development environments for a wide range of
processors and operating systems.
Technical Support Available:
- Available now. And, shipping since February, 1994.
- Source code licenses and object code distribution licenses are available.
Back to Products Page.
Back to FirmWorks Home Page.
Power Firmware is a trademark of FirmWorks.
PowerPC is a trademark of International Business Machines Corporation.
Last Modified: February 2, 1999